Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Art- Holton Rower

I am excited to share one of my art projects. I had 37 students from 5K-8th Grade. All my student regardless of their age did a fantastic job with this POUR ART PROJECT!

Inspired by Holton Rower, we did our own mini paint pour art projects!
I've seen re-do's of this project around the internet, but much of what I did was based on the supplies I was able to obtain inexpensively. Thankfully, A local wood company Cox Industries, donated our wooden blocks. For paint we used the cheap acrylic stuff (50 cents a bottle from Walmart.) However, to make sure the paint did not crack we used a "Pour Medium" I found at Michael's Craft store in the fine art section.(approx. $14.99 per bottle)  This stuff is not cheap, but a cheaper substitute is "Glazing" found near the inexpensive acrylic paints. I mixed the paint to a thin consistancy and we began...

Each student received 3 small cups of paint. One wooden block that consisted of 4 inch sq 1, 1x4 and 1, 1x1x1 inch square dowel which my husband attached together with wood screws, and we put them on a heavy duty paper plate with a rim.  

During class we talked about how colors made us feel or what colors represented for them, etc. Then, we started POURING! They had so much fun, and so did I. This can get messy so teachers if you plan on doing this project... wear overalls! 

It took about a week for them to fully dry. Once dry, we were able to remove them from the paper plate either via scissors or some decided to rip it right off the paper still intact. Either way it worked. They turned out great. 

I did have an extra challenge question for them to take home. Holton Rower's grandfather Alexander Calder invented the mobile. So, that was an extra tidbit to add to the lesson plan as extra credit. They also were responsible for writing down what their favorite color was and why.

Here are some photos of the final product:


 So excited how this turned out! They all look great and we all had a wonderful time creating them. Check out the links below. This is what inspired this art project.


 Holton Rower Pouring
Tall Pour Art


No comments:

Post a Comment